AWARD For SCIENTIFIC DEGREES & NOMINATIONS
Republic of Armenia, from the very beginning of its existence, established a distinct certifying system. RA Supreme Certifying Commission (RASCC) of today is created by resolution No 241 of RA government issued on 17 May 1993 as a governmentally administered state governing unit and by RA government resolution No 1948-N issued on 12 September 2002 as an agency of the Ministry of Education and Science.
The functions of SCC are recognized in the RA law of 2000 “concerning the functions of scientific and science-based technologies”, in accordance Ph.D. and Doctor of Science degrees are awarded. Docent and professor nomination documents (academic ranks of instructors at higher educational institutions granted to persons with Ph.D. or Doctor of Science degrees) are as well awarded in RA.
SCC confirms the academic degrees granted by specialized councils and the academic nominations accorded by scientific councils and confers correspondingly a trilingual (Armenian, English and Russian) scientific degree diplomas.
RA SCC MAIN FUNCTIONS
The main functions of SCC compromise:
1. the creation of specialized councils; the administration of the councils,
2. the maintenance of scientific quality standards,
3. conferring scientific degree and scientific nomination diplomas of state standards.
To fulfill the stated functions SCC realizes:
- the periodical refinement and extension of the directory of specialties,
- the organization of subject examinations for candidates,
- the organization of peer reviews with a view to verifying and upholding standards,
- the establishment of a list of academic journals acceptable for publishing articles encompassing
propositions and results of dissertations,
5. the identification of foreign scientific degrees and nomination documents with those of RA.
Other conventional tasks compromise archiving of certifying works, conveying dissertations to the National Library of Armenia, the processing, preserving and exploitation of information, providing international relations and etc.